EMERGENCY RESPONSE SUPPORT SYSTEM (ERSS)
Context: Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri G Kishan Reddy put forward the status of implementation of the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) as a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha.
All the States and Union Territories in the country have agreed to implement single number 112 based Emergency Response Support System (ERSS). This system has been made operational in 28 States/Union Territories and operationalization of ERSS in the States of Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai), Manipur, Odisha, Sikkim and West Bengal is at various stages of completion.
ABOUT EMERGENCY RESPONSE SUPPORT SYSTEM (ERSS)
ERSS seeks to enable a pan-India, single, internationally recognized number i.e. 112 based emergency response mechanism for various emergencies, including police, medical and fire, with computer-aided dispatch of field resources. Addition of other emergency services is a function of requirement and preparedness of States/ Union Territories.
112 service is accessible through call, SMS, e-mail, panic button and a 112 India mobile app. TRAI allotted this number for the purpose of single emergency number in India in May 2015.
What are the Utilities provided to the citizens?
If you require emergency assistance from Police, Fire or Health departments or from any other services, you may:
- Dial 112 from your phone;
- If you have a smart phone, Press power button on your smart phone 3 times in quick succession to activate Panic call;
- If you have a feature phone, Long press ‘5’ or ‘9’ key on your feature phone to activate Panic call;
- Use 112 India mobile app (available in Google Playstore and Apple store) to activate a panic call.
- For women and children, 112 India App provides a special SHOUT feature which alerts registered volunteers in the vicinity of victim for immediate assistance.
ABOUT 112 INDIA MOBILE APP
112 Mobile App is a part of the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS), a Govt of India initiative. In case of an emergency situation, a person in distress may seek for the assistance of local emergency service delivery departments and volunteers through the App.
The App will send emergency alerts with the user’s details (name, age, emergency contacts) and location information, along with a generated call to ‘112’ – to the State Emergency Control Room and the person’s emergency contacts. The system forwards the emergency alert to nearby online local volunteers if available.
Key Features of the App
- It provides a single panic app across the country for looking into any citizen emergency.
- It provides 24 x 7, efficient and effective response system, which can involve local volunteers from citizens to provide efficient emergency response service.
- It helps in the identification of location of person in distress connecting through voice or data.
- The app ensures a timely dispatch of field resources (police, health, fire & disaster management) to the location of incidence using the system.
- It is integrated with existing emergency response systems – Police (100), Fire (101), Health (108) and Women helpline (1090).
- The app comes with a feedback mechanism and the citizen profile management that makes its operations citizen-friendly, more transparent, and efficient.
- The app also help to keep track of the progress of incidents and the services delivered taking emergency services to the next level.
Follow us on:
Join us on Telegram: http://t.me/ExamGuideUpsc